Skip to main content

Wow.

Scott here...

Nine days.

Or more specifically, 8 days, 16 hours, 30 minutes, and 29 seconds until I change the rest of life.

Crazy, right?

So may people love to ask, "Are you nervous?  Getting stressed?  Cold feet?"  It's pretty easy to respond.

"Nope."

See, it'd be one thing if I was just jumping out on a limb, trusting my gut, following my heart, and whatnot.  But that's not at all what's happening on the 19th.  My gut has nothing to do with it (although, that reminds me how much my fiance's perfectly honed body intimidates me and my thoroughly average build).

When I met Raegan, I thought to myself, "Well isn't that a fun person."  And that was it.  It wasn't until I felt that otherworldly push in late April that I began to see her differently.

The way she smiles like she can barely contain herself.

The way she loves people like they need it more than air.

The way she laughs in the face of struggle and adversity.

I made these posters for us that hang in our (soon to be) home.  Each one symbolizes a significant date in our story.  There is one that has the caption "Wow."  It comes from a conversation we shared at Jimmy John's, where Raegan began to fall for me.  The truth is, I could have made a poster with this caption for so many dates, so many times that I thought "Wow" about her and she thought "Wow" about me.  Luckily, we're still "Wow"ing each other every day (I hope that keeps up!) in ways both big and small.  In fact, it's the small things that tell me we're making the absolutely right decision.

Raegan asked me early on in our friendship--although looking back you could say she was testing waters--if I believed in soulmates.  I told her something along the lines of yes and no--mainly because I did not want to scare off my future bride--even though I didn't really believe the words coming out of my mouth.  What I wanted to scream was, "YES!  And by yes I mean US!"

See, it changes the way you approach getting married when you honestly believe this is the one person on the planet you are supposed to be with.  6,999,999,999 other people on the earth, and Raegan is the one I'm becoming one with.  Now, whether you believe in God or not, there is something powerful in that idea, that in the midst of all the chaos of our world, we still find our way to the one person who becomes our better half.

I go back and forth about a lot of things.

What to wear.

What to eat.

Where to go.

What to do.

But when it comes to the 1 in 6,999,999,999... not a bit.  How do you get nervous about that?  How do you worry if something so exact and precise is right?  There is no other answer to the question of "Should I do this?"

All I can say is "Wow."








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Uniting Methodists: A "Fixed and Free" Romans 14 Church

This past week, the local church I serve, Lovers Lane UMC, hosted a gathering of area clergy and lay leaders interested in learning more about a movement called "Uniting Methodists." Leading the presentation and ensuing discussion were Rev. Rachel Baughman of Oak Lawn UMC in Dallas, and Rev. Dr. Stan Copeland of Lovers Lane.

I respect both of these leaders immensely; Rachel was actually my children's pastor when I was in the 6th grade at W.C. Martin UMC in Bedford, TX, and Stan has been my boss and mentor for the better part of the last decade. That respect was shared by the room as far as I could tell, and it was their presence together on stage that likely sparked more than a little curiosity amongst those who came. 

The sight of them sitting together on stage perhaps sums up Uniting Methodists in one image. On the left (literally and figuratively), a young, progressive, woman with clerical collar, black plastic glasses, and dreads pulled neatly into a bun. On the righ…

A Little Ice, A Lot of Water, A Whole Heap of Cynicism

Scott here.  I've seen a lot of concern over the wasting of water in the now infamous ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.  If you don't know what that is, welcome to the internet, you must be new here.  Google it and come back, we'll wait.

Anyways, I've seen figures suggesting that around 1.2 million Americans have participated in the Challenge, using approx. 5 gallons of water each, meaning somewhere in the ballpark of 6 million gallons of water have been used so far (as of two days ago, so that number has grown).  Sounds like a staggering number, and it is a significant amount of water, to be sure.   And if you donated to ALSA, but chose to forgo the ice bucket to conserve water, I think that is admirable, and I applaud your decision to use the Challenge as a way to shed light on water scarcity at the same time.

But before we begin criticizing an effective fundraising practice by lamenting the waste of water, I wonder if we are willing to examine our own daily practices and c…

Why I Loved Daniel and Hated Job

I used to hate the book of Job.

There, I said it.  I know some of you might be in shock that I--a seminarian, a pastor, a future ordained elder--would actually hate a book of the Bible.  But it's true, for the longest time I just could not stand the story of a man whose life get's worse and worse and worse, simply because God wanted to prove something to Satan... or something like that.*

Which is funny because my wife absolutely loves the book of Job.  It's her favorite in the entire Old Testament, and I could not understand why for the longest time.  It's just so dadgum depressing.  A man's life starts out so wonderful, so full of blessing and grace, and slowly falls apart until nothing is left but his faith.  And I know, I know, at the end he gets back double what he had before, but that's a few verses at the end of chapters and chapters of misery.

Not like Daniel.  The story of Daniel is a book that starts out with destruction and judgement and nothing but …