Skip to main content

Honeymoon Part 2 or Attention Tanner Family, We Love Your City

by Raegan

Stop right now!  Have you read Part 1?  If not, do it!  No if's, and's, or but's!

Note: After reading Scott's account of our honeymoon in Napa, all I can say is "sorry" to my Dad and to my brothers.  I won't be able to look you in the eyes for at least two more years.  


Let's move on though shall we? Let's see what us Gillilands experienced in San Fran...


Our time wrapped up in Napa and we were sad to see it end, but ready to head into the Bay City.  Since I'm from "small town" Kansas, everything seems big and exciting to me... and a little scary as I've learned not everyone waves, smiles, and let's you cut in line with your car.  Those Cali's are the scariest of them all too, but that is beside the point.  I grabbed all the freebies I possibly could from our place in Napa (I learned that from Ross on Friends), smuggled the complimentary port in the lobby (so far, we haven't been billed for it), and jumped in our Nissan Cube to head down the big highways of California. My underage husband drove the car (Alamo doesn't need to know) and we were southbound!

Before rolling into the city, we stopped to go to the Muir Woods.  Man, I thought we grew things big in Texas but I do believe California has us beat with the biggest trees.  I wonder if Texas knows*...probably not, since I have discovered Texans don't know much about anything past their borders except they don't like when people cross them.  All in all, the Muir Woods were beautiful and we loved getting a little bit more nature before heading into the City.  The "free" firewood we got from there too wasn't so bad either and man, can we run fast from Park Rangers (even in Toms)...

We crossed over the Golden Gate bridge as I sang the "Full House" theme song loud and proud. I was hoping we would be able to rent a red Mustang and recreate it, but no such luck. Maybe next time, and we can use our real kids by then. Our first night we wandered around the Union Square area (great shopping, although who wants to deal with Black Friday crowds? Not these two lovebirds), went up and down the escalators at Macy's (true story), ate some reubens at an Irish Bar, had some coffee, and settled in for [Scrabble] and a fairly early night.

The next morning was what I deemed as "the day we walked around so much in horrible support shoes that I'm pretty sure my feet and back still are hurting"day.  But it was fun because being with Scott is fun. Period.  We first went and looked at a beautiful cathedral (it was weird being in a church and not working!) and did a prayer labryinth.  For us, it was nice to get centered and back to reality thinking of others so we weren't just in la-la land all week.  We walked up and down and up and down and up and down so many hills and literally 1500 steps I think.  San Francisco ain't a city to take your grandma to unless your grandma is Mim Adamson. That lady is a hoss.  We found Lombard Street which I do believe is slang for "Drivers Ed Hell".  San Francisco as a whole could quite possibly be the worst city to learn to drive in.  I should know since I've seen Princess Diaries 20 times and Anne Hathaway seemed to struggle a lot.  We explored other areas such as the Castro area and then found ourselves rumbling for a good Thanksgiving meal.  This would be our first Thanksgiving together and it would certainly be unforgettable. We ate at a famous local place called Tommy's Joynt and it... was... amazing. The line was crazy, people were friendly as could be (were we in Kansas?), and the food hit the spot. We had the whole spread and at $14 a plate, we were fat and happy. And eating at a place like that helped us avoid overeating, though I'm sure we still consumed over 2,000 calories in one sitting (hope no one overseas is reading this.)

...Off to Tanner Land...

I was most excited to see the place where Full House had their opening shot. I once again freaked out Scott with my knowledge about the show (glad he already had the ring on when I shared this information) and I enjoyed frolicking around while avoiding the dog poop. Californians sure love their dogs, which actually just says to me "we break a lot of health codes here."  We hopped on a bus down to watch a beautiful sunset on the Pacific coast while freezing our butts off. Oh well, the pictures were worth it.  That night we had some amazing pizza by the slice in a small joint. I felt like I was in a New-York-City-based movie on a date getting a late night snack, but I'm pretty sure it was only 7:30 and pretty sure we were asleep by 9 that night, after [watching CSI reruns].

The next morning we awoke to realize our calves really hated us.  We then did what most honeymoon couples do (no, not actually): we went to the Exploratorium.  Basically, it was the coolest children's science museum ever.  Sure, moms quickly moved their kids away from Scott when he came over and started talking to the kids and we got stares for being the only people there without kids, but we had fun by golly.  After a few hours there and a lot of Germ-X, we headed down to Chinatown to get some Dim Sum. And trust us, Dim Sum Good Food.  No really, that was the name of the place. Scott didn't know what he ordered, but he pointed and nodded like a pro.  Luckily, everything he chose was delicious and didn't give us the 'rhea later. Looks like success.  We then climbed some more hills and stairs in order to get to the top of Coit Tower and view the city.  It was beautiful and once again, I wished Dallas looked like any other city.

For our last night, we headed out to Sausalito.  Unbeknownst to us, while driving over there, we entered into a time warp and with one step in the door of the restaurant, we found ourselves in 1987. The decor was well, 80's-riffic and I quickly scanned the room to see if Baby were, in fact, in the corner... She wasn't.  The view was great and the company, better.  Can you say Aquanet and shoulder pads?

Our last day, we squeezed in the famous Alcatraz. I was slightly confused and thought it was Azkaban and that a small version of Harry Potter World was on the island. Imagine my surprise to find out this place was a real prison.  We took a boat across the bay (don't worry, I counted to see if their count of life jackets was accurate) and wandered "The Rock" (not Dwayne Johnson, I know... I was disappointed too). Alcatraz really was extremely fascinating and I can't wait until Disney buys the island to turn it into the scariest ride of all time.

We were sad to say goodbye to our Honeymoon and it hit me that when we returned, I would now have to live with a boy. I cried for only half of the plane ride and got a hold of myself before the in-laws picked us up at the airport.

Like Scott said, this honeymoon was the chance of a lifetime and we felt so extremely blessed to those who made it possible. We thank you all from the bottom of our hearts.

Now onto real married life...

* once Texas finds out they got bigger trees in California, I fully expect to see bigger trees here. In typical Texas fashion I am sure they will be wrapped in a Texas flag.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Uniting Methodists: A "Fixed and Free" Romans 14 Church

This past week, the local church I serve, Lovers Lane UMC, hosted a gathering of area clergy and lay leaders interested in learning more about a movement called "Uniting Methodists." Leading the presentation and ensuing discussion were Rev. Rachel Baughman of Oak Lawn UMC in Dallas, and Rev. Dr. Stan Copeland of Lovers Lane.

I respect both of these leaders immensely; Rachel was actually my children's pastor when I was in the 6th grade at W.C. Martin UMC in Bedford, TX, and Stan has been my boss and mentor for the better part of the last decade. That respect was shared by the room as far as I could tell, and it was their presence together on stage that likely sparked more than a little curiosity amongst those who came. 

The sight of them sitting together on stage perhaps sums up Uniting Methodists in one image. On the left (literally and figuratively), a young, progressive, woman with clerical collar, black plastic glasses, and dreads pulled neatly into a bun. On the righ…

A Little Ice, A Lot of Water, A Whole Heap of Cynicism

Scott here.  I've seen a lot of concern over the wasting of water in the now infamous ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.  If you don't know what that is, welcome to the internet, you must be new here.  Google it and come back, we'll wait.

Anyways, I've seen figures suggesting that around 1.2 million Americans have participated in the Challenge, using approx. 5 gallons of water each, meaning somewhere in the ballpark of 6 million gallons of water have been used so far (as of two days ago, so that number has grown).  Sounds like a staggering number, and it is a significant amount of water, to be sure.   And if you donated to ALSA, but chose to forgo the ice bucket to conserve water, I think that is admirable, and I applaud your decision to use the Challenge as a way to shed light on water scarcity at the same time.

But before we begin criticizing an effective fundraising practice by lamenting the waste of water, I wonder if we are willing to examine our own daily practices and c…

Why I Loved Daniel and Hated Job

I used to hate the book of Job.

There, I said it.  I know some of you might be in shock that I--a seminarian, a pastor, a future ordained elder--would actually hate a book of the Bible.  But it's true, for the longest time I just could not stand the story of a man whose life get's worse and worse and worse, simply because God wanted to prove something to Satan... or something like that.*

Which is funny because my wife absolutely loves the book of Job.  It's her favorite in the entire Old Testament, and I could not understand why for the longest time.  It's just so dadgum depressing.  A man's life starts out so wonderful, so full of blessing and grace, and slowly falls apart until nothing is left but his faith.  And I know, I know, at the end he gets back double what he had before, but that's a few verses at the end of chapters and chapters of misery.

Not like Daniel.  The story of Daniel is a book that starts out with destruction and judgement and nothing but …