Skip to main content

A Pool of Mustard

On June 13th, 1999, I said yes to having a Savior.  For 5 years, I was heavily involved in Campus Crusade for Christ.  I've been in full-time ministry for 4 years now.

So why is it that I find myself swimming in a pool of mustard... seeds.

I invest in students, I talk with parents, and keep in touch with friends and family from all walks of life.  And yet, I continually hear the same thing:

"Well I'm just not the spiritual."

"I really don't know that much about God."

"I don't really have a lot of faith."

(And don't get me started on my own spiritual life. Whoa nelly can that be a mess...)

Can we retrace a little bit here? When Jesus asked a few sheepish men to follow him, what do you think they had? You really think they had brains? You really think their faith was oozing out of their pores? Hardly.

These guys were the rejects. They had flunked out of rabbi school remember? Could I be as bold to say that they were losers? Okay, that may be a bit harsh, but they weren't exactly running for mayor. Their faith made mustard seeds look huge.

Now, I know what you are thinking.  "Raegan, Jesus told us to have a mustard seed of faith, and I feel like I've got that.  Aren't I good to go?"  You're right and you're wrong.  He did say we need a mustard seed, but he also spoke of that seed growing into a tree.

See, we are still very flawed in our tiny faith.  To help me get my point across, I've comprised a short list of reasons what keeps our faith from growing past a mustard seed:

1) Laziness
2) Fear of failure
3) Fear of looking stupid
4) The Bachelor
5) Did I mention laziness?

I can say this because I think it's true.  I think you know it's true too.

We don't take time to invest in our spiritual life at all. We aren't in the Word nearly enough, our prayers are often rushed and half hearted, we shy away from anything that will actually challenge us or move us to change (heaven forbid), etc etc etc.

No wonder Christianity isn't growing as it should. We're all tiny mustard seeds that haven't grown much since our first encounter with Christ.

So what do we do?

Well, we take our cues from the disciples. They had bad faith a lot. They got things wrong... a lot. And yet, they still went out even if they didn't have it all together or have all the answers. You may call it gumption or that they had cojones (all you spanish speakers know what I'm talkin' about), but I say they were taking their mustard seed faith and stickin' it to the man. They didn't let anything stop them so why should we let it stop us?

How about next time your children's pastor or youth pastor asks you to serve, you say, "Yes!" instead of "Oh I don't know.  I'm not too familiar with the Bible or God. What if they ask me something I don't know?"

How about you start a conversation with someone about God even though you very well know they are much smarter and will ask you something you haven't the slightest clue about. I mean, it isn't the Bush Doctrine. I think you can handle it and they may respect you more if you say "I don't know" instead of trying to formulate a half-hearted answer.

How about your spend a little more time in the Word... and actually read it and not allow a one tear- away-verse-of-the-day-toilet-paper sustain you. Read it. Meditate on it. Apply it.

How about you pray because you really just want to talk to God and it isn't because you lost your keys again while you're trying to get your triplets to soccer practice and you're late, and you're upset because you haven't showered today and you haven't a clue on what you are fixing for dinner because you're long overdue to go to the grocery store and you gas tank is empty... see what I mean?

I don't want to shy away from the life God has for me merely because I think mustard seeds are no good. They're vital and important to the Kingdom of God. And hey, we all have to start somewhere right?

Eventually, if we're lucky, we'll actually take root and grow. It's up to us though.



So pull yourself out of the mustard seed pool already because that pool is bound to dry up.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Uniting Methodists: A "Fixed and Free" Romans 14 Church

This past week, the local church I serve, Lovers Lane UMC, hosted a gathering of area clergy and lay leaders interested in learning more about a movement called "Uniting Methodists." Leading the presentation and ensuing discussion were Rev. Rachel Baughman of Oak Lawn UMC in Dallas, and Rev. Dr. Stan Copeland of Lovers Lane.

I respect both of these leaders immensely; Rachel was actually my children's pastor when I was in the 6th grade at W.C. Martin UMC in Bedford, TX, and Stan has been my boss and mentor for the better part of the last decade. That respect was shared by the room as far as I could tell, and it was their presence together on stage that likely sparked more than a little curiosity amongst those who came. 

The sight of them sitting together on stage perhaps sums up Uniting Methodists in one image. On the left (literally and figuratively), a young, progressive, woman with clerical collar, black plastic glasses, and dreads pulled neatly into a bun. On the righ…

A Little Ice, A Lot of Water, A Whole Heap of Cynicism

Scott here.  I've seen a lot of concern over the wasting of water in the now infamous ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.  If you don't know what that is, welcome to the internet, you must be new here.  Google it and come back, we'll wait.

Anyways, I've seen figures suggesting that around 1.2 million Americans have participated in the Challenge, using approx. 5 gallons of water each, meaning somewhere in the ballpark of 6 million gallons of water have been used so far (as of two days ago, so that number has grown).  Sounds like a staggering number, and it is a significant amount of water, to be sure.   And if you donated to ALSA, but chose to forgo the ice bucket to conserve water, I think that is admirable, and I applaud your decision to use the Challenge as a way to shed light on water scarcity at the same time.

But before we begin criticizing an effective fundraising practice by lamenting the waste of water, I wonder if we are willing to examine our own daily practices and c…

Why I Loved Daniel and Hated Job

I used to hate the book of Job.

There, I said it.  I know some of you might be in shock that I--a seminarian, a pastor, a future ordained elder--would actually hate a book of the Bible.  But it's true, for the longest time I just could not stand the story of a man whose life get's worse and worse and worse, simply because God wanted to prove something to Satan... or something like that.*

Which is funny because my wife absolutely loves the book of Job.  It's her favorite in the entire Old Testament, and I could not understand why for the longest time.  It's just so dadgum depressing.  A man's life starts out so wonderful, so full of blessing and grace, and slowly falls apart until nothing is left but his faith.  And I know, I know, at the end he gets back double what he had before, but that's a few verses at the end of chapters and chapters of misery.

Not like Daniel.  The story of Daniel is a book that starts out with destruction and judgement and nothing but …