Skip to main content

Why I Loved Daniel and Hated Job



I used to hate the book of Job.

There, I said it.  I know some of you might be in shock that I--a seminarian, a pastor, a future ordained elder--would actually hate a book of the Bible.  But it's true, for the longest time I just could not stand the story of a man whose life get's worse and worse and worse, simply because God wanted to prove something to Satan... or something like that.*

Which is funny because my wife absolutely loves the book of Job.  It's her favorite in the entire Old Testament, and I could not understand why for the longest time.  It's just so dadgum depressing.  A man's life starts out so wonderful, so full of blessing and grace, and slowly falls apart until nothing is left but his faith.  And I know, I know, at the end he gets back double what he had before, but that's a few verses at the end of chapters and chapters of misery.

Not like Daniel.  The story of Daniel is a book that starts out with destruction and judgement and nothing but a boy's faith, and slowly builds up until an ending full of blessing and grace where you least expect it.  Now that's a good story, right?

I always loved Daniel because it is such a simple story.  A boy, just one single boy, has such a deep well of faith that he is able to change the entire world around him.  It's his incredible faith, his incredible hope that makes him (in my mind) the measuring stick for believers everywhere.  He has the mustard seed that Jesus speaks of centuries later.  He may not have moved physical mountains, but he changed the hearts of kings, which I would argue is a much more difficult task.  Daniel is just fantastic, with his powerful, simple, but very deep faith that carries him through.

Not unlike Job, actually.  It took me a long time to realize this, but Job and Daniel have more in common than I ever realized.  They both are incredibly faithful.  They both remain faithful in the face of destruction.  They both honor and praise God at every turn in their lives.  But Job's story doesn't go like Daniel's.  He doesn't get the happy surprises.  He doesn't watch the world around him change for the better.  He survives his suffering sustained only by a faith so powerful, simple, and deep that his response again and again is praise.  And so, when I put Daniel and Job next together for the first time recently, I had to admit something.

They're almost the same.

The only difference is, Daniel's faith leads to blessing after blessing after blessing, while Job's leads to suffering after suffering after suffering.  And when I put them together I realize that combined, they teach me so much more than as individuals.  Daniel and Job define life as a believer.

Our faith leads us into blessings.

Our faith leads us into sufferings.

And you might be like me, in love with Daniel's story, focused on the blessings, ever the optimist about what this world could be.  Well, I've learned to love Job, too.

Because Job is a reality.  Sometimes our God calls us to trying times, sometimes our world proves to be a painful place, and sometimes we find ourselves creating our own destruction.  Regardless the reason, suffering exists.  And the answer Job offers us is surprisingly... faith.  And the good news is, even if it is just a few verses at the end, Job's story of faith does end with blessings.

It can be hard to admit that suffering is a reality, that bad times do happen, that there is still pain in the life of a believer, but the truth is we need to learn to love Daniel and Job.  They're both great men, both with faith's that carried them through, and both ring true in our world today.

Don't make the mistake I did.  Because Daniel is only half of the story.




*I know this is a common hang-up with Job, wrestle through it, because the story is much deeper than spiritual chess match between God and devil.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Uniting Methodists: A "Fixed and Free" Romans 14 Church

This past week, the local church I serve, Lovers Lane UMC, hosted a gathering of area clergy and lay leaders interested in learning more about a movement called "Uniting Methodists." Leading the presentation and ensuing discussion were Rev. Rachel Baughman of Oak Lawn UMC in Dallas, and Rev. Dr. Stan Copeland of Lovers Lane.

I respect both of these leaders immensely; Rachel was actually my children's pastor when I was in the 6th grade at W.C. Martin UMC in Bedford, TX, and Stan has been my boss and mentor for the better part of the last decade. That respect was shared by the room as far as I could tell, and it was their presence together on stage that likely sparked more than a little curiosity amongst those who came. 

The sight of them sitting together on stage perhaps sums up Uniting Methodists in one image. On the left (literally and figuratively), a young, progressive, woman with clerical collar, black plastic glasses, and dreads pulled neatly into a bun. On the righ…

A Little Ice, A Lot of Water, A Whole Heap of Cynicism

Scott here.  I've seen a lot of concern over the wasting of water in the now infamous ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.  If you don't know what that is, welcome to the internet, you must be new here.  Google it and come back, we'll wait.

Anyways, I've seen figures suggesting that around 1.2 million Americans have participated in the Challenge, using approx. 5 gallons of water each, meaning somewhere in the ballpark of 6 million gallons of water have been used so far (as of two days ago, so that number has grown).  Sounds like a staggering number, and it is a significant amount of water, to be sure.   And if you donated to ALSA, but chose to forgo the ice bucket to conserve water, I think that is admirable, and I applaud your decision to use the Challenge as a way to shed light on water scarcity at the same time.

But before we begin criticizing an effective fundraising practice by lamenting the waste of water, I wonder if we are willing to examine our own daily practices and c…